苏州桑拿

Warm-up match cancelled due to WIPA venue snub

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – A scheduled practice match between West Indies and a Trinidad and Tobago XI set for today seems to have been scuppered because the choice of venue was not given the thumbs-up by players union WIPA.In a statement Sunday, the Trindad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) said Cricket West Indies (CWI) operations manager Roland Holder wrote TTCB chief executive Suruj Ragoonath to indicate the game could not proceed because of the choice of the National Cricket Centre (NCC) as the venue instead of the previously agreed Brian Lara Cricket Academy.“CWI is unable to approve the WI team playing at the NCC,” the TTCB said Holder wrote in his communication.“The game was agreed on the basis of it being played at the Brain Lara Cricket Academy and that West Indies Players’ Association has not approved of our international team playing at the NCC.”Bizarrely, the NCC is a regular host venue for matches in the Regional first class championship and Super50 tournament while the Brian Lara Stadium, only opened in March, is yet to host a regional match.The TTCB said, however, that the Brian Lara Stadium was unavailable because of ongoing work on the pitch and outfield at the newly-completed facility.“In the circumstances the match is being called off,” the TTCB statement said.“The TTCB wishes to thank the players for making themselves available for the match in particular Sunil Narine, Samuel Badree, Lendl Simmons and Darren Bravo.”Speculation was rife the game would have been abandoned regardless of venue, largely because of the involvement of exiled left-hander Bravo.Media reports last weekend said CWI was upset over the 28-year-old’s inclusion since he was barred from national and international selection after being sent home ahead of last November’s Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe for labelling CWI president Dave Cameron “a big idiot”, on the social networking service Twitter.CWI has demanded Bravo remove the offending tweet and tender an apology, neither of which he has done.Prior to the game being cancelled, the TTCB said it had been trying earnestly to guarantee Bravo’s involvement.“(While) the issue between Bravo and the CWI remains unresolved, the TTCB was making every effort to have Bravo participate in this game in an effort to help ease his return back into first class cricket,” the national board said.It was unclear if West Indies would pursue other warm-up fixtures with the opening One-Day International against powerhouse India bowling off at Queen’s Park Oval here on Friday.last_img read more

Read More

H View hold advantage in race for fourth spot

first_imgFormer champions Harbour View will go into today’s set of matches in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) with the advantage as the battle for the fourth place continues. The stars of the East, as Harbour View are dubbed, currently occupy the fourth spot on 39 points, the same as UWI FC, but with a superior goal difference. What gives them the edge today is the match-up. While Harbour View will play away to the inconsistent Boys Town, UWI FC will host defending champions and the team occupying second spot, Arnett Gardens. Of the opposing teams, Boys’ Town are the easier of the two while only a brave person would bet against Arnett Gardens defeating UWI FC. Arnett Gardens are filled with ammunition and with the likes of the in-form Michaelous Martin, their leading scorer Kemal Malcolm, Leon Strickland and Newton Sterling. Any of those forwards can provide the goods on the day. With UWI FC’s slow defensive unit and Deno Schaffe being out, it will take a major effort to keep Arnett Gardens off the score sheet. UWI FC are also capable of finding the back of the net through Girvon Brown, Anthony, Grant, Anthony Greenland and Kemar Cummings. Since his return to the island from the USA, Brian Brown has been in good goal-scoring form and is expected to lead the Harbour View attack against Boys’ Town. P W D L GF GA GD Pts MoBay U 29 15 11 3 47 17 30 56 Arnett 29 16 6 7 44 22 22 54 Portmore 29 16 6 7 36 24 12 54 H View 29 9 12 8 34 29 5 39 UWI 29 10 9 10 33 39 -6 39 H Lion 29 9 11 9 23 27 -4 38 Boys’ T 29 9 8 12 33 44 -11 35 Tivoli 29 9 6 14 31 37 -6 33 Cavalier 29 8 9 12 23 29 -6 33 Reno 29 7 11 11 28 45 -17 32 W’house 29 6 10 13 26 35 -9 28 Rivoli 29 6 9 14 31 41 -11 27 Today’s Games – 8:40 p.m.: Montego Bay United vs Portmore United – Montego Bay Sports Complex POINTS STANDING Tomorrow’s game: – 3:30 p.m.: Boys’ Town vs Harbour View – Barbican Stadium – 3:30 p.m.: Reno vs Tivoli Gardens – Frome Complex – 3:30 p.m.: Humble Lion vs Waterhouse – Effortville Community Centre – 3:30 p.m.: Rivoli United FC vs Cavalier – Prison Oval – 3:30 p.m.: UWI FC vs Arnett Gardens – UWI Bowl, Monalast_img read more

Read More

a month agoFIFA explain why Egypt votes for Liverpool star Salah did not count

first_imgFIFA explain why Egypt votes for Liverpool star Salah did not countby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFIFA have intervened to explain why votes from Egypt for Liverpool star Mohamed Salah did not count in the Best Player award.Salah came fourth in the count.Barcelona forward Lionel Messi beat Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and five-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo to win the award for a record sixth time on Monday while Salah finished fourth – 20 points behind Messi.The captain and coach of every national soccer federation affiliated to FIFA get to vote on the player of the year, along with one media representative from each country.The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said captain Ahmed Elmohamady and then-coach Shawky Gharib both picked Salah as their first choice, but their votes were missing from a list released by FIFA.”The Egyptian FA have received two reminders to submit the properly signed voting forms on 19 August 2019,” a FIFA spokesperson said.”The Egyptian FA has not submitted a response within the (limited) timeframe until Wednesday, 21 August 2019. Therefore, the votes from the Egyptian FA could not be counted.”FIFA did not clarify if the final standings would have been any different if the votes had been valid. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More

Sea Shepherds Paul Watson ¡Viva Solís

first_img Facebook Comments Related posts:Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson launches Facebook campaign asking Costa Rica’s Solís to drop extradition request Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson back on Interpol website as Costa Rica fugitive Little has changed 1 year after slaying of Costa Rica conservationist Jairo Mora Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson turns to human rights commission to block Costa Rica’s legal chase Environmental activist and founder of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Paul Watson on Wednesday congratulated Citizen Action Party (PAC) candidate Luis Guillermo Solís. He also asked for action. “Do your best to restore Costa Rica’s reputation as a real conservation-minded nation,” announced the controversial captain on his Facebook page. “The people have indeed spoken.”Watson cited a series of environmental cases that have brought international attention to Costa Rica and described President Laura Chinchilla as “the woman who sold out to the shark-finners and the narco-poachers,” pointing out that she will be gone on April 6.He also highlighted some of Solís’ promises to end corruption and to protect the environment, and said Sea Shepherd is delighted to be able to work with him. That will include delivering one of the organization’s boats – The Jairo Mora Sandoval – to Moín’s beach on Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast to protect the same turtles the eponymous Tico environmentalist was trying to save when he was murdered last May.The country’s Fisheries Institute did not escape Watson’s comments as he expressed his optimism that “the corrupt agency will be overhauled.” He also said he hoped the politically motivated charges brought against him by Chinchilla “acting as a puppet to the Japanese government” will be dropped. The captain also vowed to see the protection of Cocos Island as a priority for Solís.PAC environmental spokeswoman Patricia Madrigal told The Tico Times that the Solís campaign had no official position on Watson’s case.She added that reforming the executive board of the Fisheries Institute, known as INCOPESCA by its Spanish acronym, was a priority for the candidate. But she also noted that such action would require action by the Legislative Assembly.“Generally speaking, [PAC’s] objective is to keep the promise to enforce the laws that already exist. If that were the only thing we accomplished, it would be an enormous step,” Madrigal said in a telephone interview.Last October Watson arrived in the U.S. claiming an Interpol Red Notice from Costa Rica had been dropped. At the time, a search of Interpol’s website turned up no notice of a red alert on behalf of Costa Rica, although a red alert issued by Japan was still active.On Nov. 5, Costa Rica’s First Circuit Penal Court of San José requested that U.S. officials arrest Watson and extradite him to Costa Rica.Watson’s Costa Rican attorney Federico Morales told The Tico Times a few days later that Costa Rica had reactivated an international arrest request and then communicated that decision to the U.S. Embassy.Morales said he would challenge the request, as he believes the statute of limitations on the charges against Watson expired in 2004 or 2005.Zach Dyer contributed to this post.last_img read more

Read More

OTTtv World Summit speaker Peter Fregelius head o

first_imgOTTtv World Summit speaker Peter Fregelius, head of competence team entertainment at Swisscom, talked to Digital TV Europe about his company’s entry into the OTT space. Why did Swisscom decide to make such an early move in the OTT space?
The reason that Swisscom made such an early move in the OTT space is the huge customer need in this area. The need to be able to watch live TV or on demand content wherever you are, at whatever time you want. Whenever Swisscom sees such a clear customer need we work as fast as possible to cover it with a new product, service and/or product feature. Our multiscreen TV offer Swisscom TV air is one example.Should OTT services be offered as value-added service to customers, or can they be used to generate revenue in their own right?
We believe that OTT services can be offered in different ways, for example as a value-added service on existing products, as part of new offers or as a new service to generate revenue by itself. The decision between these possibilities depends on the service itself. Swisscom decided to offer its multiscreen TV offer as a value-added service for customers with a product bundle subscription but also sell the product as a separate service – and so is generating revenue with it.Would you ever consider delivering all your video services over-the-top, ie without the need for a set-top box?
To deliver our Swisscom TV service directly to a TV screen is something that we are interested in but only when it’s possible to guarantee a high quality user experience to our customers.What role should social media play in the development of OTT services?
This is a really good question and I’m not quiet sure if there is currently anybody who knows the ultimate answer. We know that social media is playing an active role within the recommendation area. You get recommendation from friends telling you what content they have liked or disliked. It’s the same as happens in any social interaction today. The question is how we can include it in our existing offers so that it gives value to the end customer without being too intrusive. Other possibilities like generating personal playlists and spreading them in social media forums must first be tested to see if there is a real customer need. But we are convinced that social media will play a much stronger role on smartphones and tablet devices than on the big screen at home. Smartphones and tablet devices are personal devices. The big screen in the living room is a shared device that isn’t optimal for social media services that tend to be very private. Even within a family.How important is it to ensure a consistent experience across different devices? What are the main challenges that need to be overcome with this regard?In our opinion it’s very important for the end user to have a homogenous user experience to find his way around the service across all devices as quickly and simply as possible. So it’s important that there are at least certain parts of our TV service accessible by any screen. We recently launched the possibility to watch your recordings from the STB at home via smartphones and tablet devices while you are on the go. The other way around, the possibility to programme a recording or to bookmark a video-on-demand on your smartphone while travelling and then watch it on the big screen in the living room when you are home again, gives the end user freedom and flexibility and generates value for them. To implement these kinds of services in a way that they are easy to use becomes quite complex IT projects. But as long as there is a value for our customers we will try to identify these use cases and to implement them.last_img read more

Read More