Below is an article from the TouchWest homepage re the loss of Shirley de la Hunty. Olympic track and field champion and TouchWest patron Shirley de la Hunty has passed away at her Perth home aged 78. A winner of seven Olympic medals, including three gold medals, Shirley was always thrilled to attend recent TouchWest State Championships and schools Touch events. She was without question one of WA’s finest sports people of all time. All the members of TouchWest pass on our sympathy to the family of Shirley de la Hunty.
Ex-Spurs boss Redknapp: Why’d Pochettino want to start again at Man Utd?by Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has questioned whether Mauricio Pochettino would want the Manchester United job.The rumours have understandably upset Spurs fans, although Redknapp believes it is far from guaranteed that Pochettino will accept a move to Old Trafford.“It’s a difficult one,” Redknapp told BBC 5 Live. “He’s obviously getting very, very well paid where he is. It’s a good club, they’ve got a great training ground. They’ve got a brand new stadium coming.”He’s got a good team. He’s got to go and build a team at Man United. For me they’re still way short of being a team that could win the league again. I think the back four needs absolute surgery there.“I still think they’re quite well short of where they want to be. So I don’t know — does he jump ship and go and start again and look to rebuild there where he’s absolutely loved at White Hart Lane?”It’s a difficult situation for him I’ll be truthful I would think his life’s pretty good at the moment. He’s absolutely there idolised by the fans. I think it would be difficult for him to leave personally. Even though Man Utd is an amazing football club, we all know that.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Juan Mata adamant trophies not far away for Man Utdby Ansser Sadiq22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJuan Mata says it won’t be long until Manchester United win trophies again. The Premier League’s leading title winners went trophy-less last season.”I think when the club and the manager said we would take time we believe it’s not going to be too long,” said Mata before Thursday’s Europa League clash with AZ Alkmaar.”I think this club is always winning and he has won here a lot as a player. I have won a few things here and in my mind is to win something really important with United. “I believe we can do it, we know other teams are playing very good football and now in the last part of my career my biggest thing is to win.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
Patna: Four passengers were injured on Sunday after 13 coaches of Chapra-Surat Tapti Ganga Express derailed in Bihar’s Saran district. The accident took place near Gautam Asthan railway station in Varanasi division at 9.45 am, minutes after the Surat-bound train left Chapra Junction, the Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) of North Eastern Railway (NER), Sanjay Yadav, said. No casualty has been reported so far, the CPRO told PTI over phone. The accident spot is 10 km away from Chapra town of the district, the CPRO said. The CPRO also said, “The cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained.” All the four injured have been admitted to a local hospital, he added.
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia’s disgraced ex-leader Najib Razak pleaded not guilty to all charges against him as he went on trial Wednesday over a multi-billion-dollar fraud, almost a year after his shock election loss. The 65-year-old faced the first of several trials over his alleged involvement in the looting of sovereign wealth fund 1MDB, a state investment vehicle established to develop the economy of the Southeast Asian nation. The former premier and his cronies are accused of plundering billions of dollars from the fund and spending it on everything from high-end real estate to artworks and a luxury yacht. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US He had been tipped to win another term in office easily last year and extend his coalition’s six-decade stranglehold on power, only to be soundly defeated by his former boss, Mahathir Mohamad, who rode a wave of public anger over 1MDB to the premiership. In the months that followed, once-dormant investigations into the controversy were relaunched and Najib was hit with dozens of corruption charges linked to the plundering of the fund. A small crowd of supporters was waiting for Najib as he arrived at the Kuala Lumpur court ahead of his trial, and he prayed with them for a few minutes before entering the building to shouts of “Long Live Najib”. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls Looking relaxed in the dock, he denied seven corruption and money-laundering charges related to the alleged theft of 42 million ringgit (USD 10.3 million) from SRC International, a former 1MDB unit. It is just a fraction of the hundreds of millions of dollars that he allegedly stole. Opening the prosecution, Attorney-General Tommy Thomas told the High Court it was the “first trial in our courts against a former prime minister, who for nearly a decade occupied the most powerful office in the land and wielded near absolute power. “Such privilege carries with it enormous responsibility. “The accused is not above the law,” he added. After the first witness, an official from the Companies Commission of Malaysia, gave largely technical evidence related to corporate records, the trial was adjourned. The judge set the next hearing for April 15, and trial dates until May 10. Najib left without commenting, to cheers from his supporters waiting outside court. Far from being considered a pariah, the ex-leader has gained a following among members of the country’s Muslim majority as some are worried their long-held privileges are being eroded under the new government. He has become an unlikely social media phenomenon by attacking the new administration’s policies online. He was initially due to stand trial in February, but appeals by his defence team over procedural matters saw his case put on hold until a judge last week ruled the trial should finally proceed. It was a relief for the government, as there had been mounting public anger about the delay in bringing Najib to justice. Najib’s mentor-turned-nemesis Mahathir, now 93 and in his second stint in office, has pledged to bring the younger man to justice and recoup the huge sums of cash stolen from 1MDB. The US Department of Justice, which is investigating the controversy as money was allegedly laundered through the American financial system, believes USD 4.5 billion in total was looted from 1MDB. Malaysia has also charged Wall Street titan Goldman Sachs over the scandal, alleging the bank and its former employees stole billions of dollars from 1MDB. Goldman units and two ex-bankers are accused of misappropriating USD 2.7 billion, bribing officials and giving false statements in relation to bond issues they arranged for the fund. The bank has vowed to fight the charges. While many of Najib’s suspected accomplices have been caught and charged in Malaysian courts, the alleged mastermind behind the 1MDB scandal, playboy financier Jho Low, is still at large. On Wednesday the Malaysian government said a luxury yacht allegedly bought by Low with USD 250 million of stolen 1MDB money will be sold for around half that price. The yacht was returned to Malaysia after being seized last year in Indonesia.
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has sought responses of the Centre and the AAP government on a PIL seeking implementation of a law mandating issuance of caste certificates to those scheduled caste (SC) persons who converted to Buddhism. The plea has claimed that the implementation of the Constitution (Schedule Caste) Order (Amendment) Act of 1990 would enable scheduled caste persons who have embraced Buddhism to get caste certificates, a benefit which is available to them only in Maharasthra. A bench of Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice A J Bhambhani issued notices to the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and the Delhi government seeking their stands on the issue raised in the petition filed by lawyer Rahul Mohod. The petitioner has claimed that the Act has been in existence for over 28 years, but has not yet been implemented anywhere in the country except for Maharashtra. “In spite of the clear mandate under the aforesaid law, the public authorities in the pretext of not having appropriate order denied to execute the Constitution (Schedule Caste)order (Amendment) Act, 1990 for the people of Delhi who are converted Buddhist to certify them as a member of Schedule Caste community for the last 28 years,” Mohod has said in his plea. The petition seeks implementation of the Act in Delhi as well as the rest of India.The court has directed the Centre and the Delhi government to indicate their stands before the next date of hearing which is August 20.
Bhopal: The BJP in Madhya Pradesh Monday said the Kamal Nath-led Congress government in the state should prove majority in the Assembly. Leader of Opposition in Assembly Gopal Bhargava said his party will ask Governor Anandiben Patel to convene a special session of the state Assembly “to discuss important issues and test the Congress governments strength”. I am writing a letter to the Governor for convening a special session of MP Assembly shortly. We want discussion important issues like the farm loan waiver and (to) test the government strength, Bhargava told PTI. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework He said the Congress, instead of debating issues in the House, was dumping papers at former Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhans residence, claiming that loans of 21 lakh farmers in Madhya Pradesh have been waived. The Congress was skirting debate on important issues, he said. During decisions and financial matters we are going to seek division to test whether the weak Congress government enjoys its support in the House, Bhargava said. Also Read – Afghan Taliban frees 3 Indian hostages in exchange for 11 top militant leaders: Reports”We have not drawn up a strategy for the floor test of the government, he said. There is a lot of confusion prevailing over the stability of the Congress-led government in MP,” he added. The BJP demand comes a day after exit polls predicted a comfortable victory for the BJP in the Lok Sabha elections. The exit polls also say the BJP will the maximum number of Lok Sabha seats in Madhya Pradesh. In elections for the 230-member Assembly last year, the Congress won 114 seats and the BJP coming a close second with 109. The Bahujan Samaj Party has two seats, the Samajwadi Party one and the Independents four seats. The Congress had captured power from the BJP after the assembly polls. Two short of the majority mark on its own, the Congress has the support of BSP and SP in the House.
LaDarius Green of the San Diego Chargers tries to make a catch during a game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Qualcomm Stadium Dec. 1. The Bengals won, 17-10. Credit: Courtesy of MCTThe Cincinnati Bengals increased their lead in the AFC North to two games with a 17-10 victory over the San Diego Chargers.Timely plays by the defense and a steady ground game powered Cincinnati (8-4) to victory against a San Diego team that was coming off an impressive victory over the Kansas City Chiefs one week before.The Bengals played conservatively against the Chargers (5-7) after having lost their last two road games in overtime. By not asking quarterback Andy Dalton to win the game, his mistakes were limited. Though Dalton failed to reach 200 yards for the second straight game, he only turned the ball over once and did not take a sack. Instead, the Bengals decided to let their defense and running game do the talking.With the game tied at seven in the third quarter, Cincinnati’s second-year cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick changed the game’s momentum when he outmuscled 255-pound tight end Antonio Gates for an interception. That play set up a 21-yard touchdown pass from Dalton to wide receiver A.J. Green.Leading 17-7 in the fourth quarter, Bengals safety George Iloka forced wide receiver Keenan Allen to fumble after a 14-yard reception. On its next drive, San Diego only managed to kick a field goal.The Bengals’ ground game would then seal the deal. With just under five minutes to play, Cincinnati ran out the clock with an 11 play, 61 yard drive behind a power running game. In the win, the Bengals totaled 164 yards on the ground.Sunday’s game offered a number of encouraging signs for Cincinnati fans. The secondary, which has not fared well on the road this season, was not daunted by the task of having to slow down the prolific Philip Rivers (23 touchdowns, nine interceptions and 3,633 yards passing). Dalton also seems to be learning that he gives his team a better chance of winning when he simply puts the ball into the hands of the team’s many playmakers. Running backs BenJarvus Green-Ellis (20 carries, 92 yards, one touchdown) and Giovani Bernard (14 carries, 57 yards) showed that they can carry the team to victory in close games.If last week’s bye accomplished anything, it allowed the Bengals to re-establish their identity, which is key for a young team heading into the stretch run before the playoffs begin.The Bengals head back to Cincinnati next weekend to host the Indianapolis Colts. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.
Urban Meyer raises the Cotton Bowl trophy following the end of game against the University of Southern California on Dec. 29 in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX. Ohio State won 24-7. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorIt did not take long for the headlines to start appearing, all with a common theme: Ohio State dominates USC in 24-7 victory in Cotton Bowl.Just as soon after those headlines appeared did people begin to criticize the College Football Playoff committee’s decision to omit Ohio State from the top-four teams.But this game proved one thing to me: the committee got it right. Neither No. 5 Ohio State nor No. 8 USC deserved to be included in the playoff.The score shows a defensive battle between two Power Five champions. But the game looked quite the opposite of how the score turned out.USC quarterback Sam Darnold seemed to have Ohio State’s number right out of the gate. He made tough throws look easy and receivers often made similarly challenging catches look routine. He completed 26-of-45 passes for 356 yards, 79 more yards than Ohio State had total offense.The problem for USC and for Darnold was that what mistakes he made, they were major. The pick-6 he threw into the hands of safety Damon Webb was a terrible read, and Webb made him pay. The two fumbles he had were both the result of a constant torment of pressure from Ohio State’s defensive line that the USC offensive line failed to stop for much of the day. His top receiver, Deontay Burnett, also had a bad fumble in Ohio State territory that set the Buckeyes up in great field position. And overall, Ohio State scored 21 of its 24 total points after turnovers. Similarly, the only points USC was able to put on the board came when H-back and punt returner K.J. Hill muffed a punt on the Ohio State 15-yard line. Neither team scored in the second half. The only real chance either team had came when USC missed a 28-yard field goal attempt that bounced off the right upright.USC’s offense crossed the 50-yard line just seven times when it didn’t begin with the ball off a turnover, and Ohio State managed to cross it only three times when not set up by a turnover. Ohio State’s offense, which ranked No. 5 in scoring entering the game, had 13 total first downs while USC, led by a likely top-five NFL draft pick quarterback and a potential early-round running back, had 23.If Ohio State was a playoff team, it would have dominated a porous rushing defense that had given up 1,195 rushing yards to just five other top-30 rushing attacks. It would have decimated a passing defense that had allowed the 30th-most passing yards per game (246.5 per game). It would not have struggled to run the ball and muster just 163 yards on 38 carries. It would not have only passed for 114 yards and completed just 11-of-17 passes. And on the flip side, Ohio State’s defense should have been better against Darnold. While it forced some crucial turnovers, Darnold deserved more blame than Ohio State credit for his interception. He made some throws that were tough to make, but there were plenty others that were more the result of poor coverage. Ohio State’s defensive line and offensive line were really the only two units that lived up to the billing of a potential playoff team. The defensive line dominated USC to the tune of 14 tackles for loss, including eight sacks. On the other side, Ohio State’s offensive line only allowed four tackles for loss, three being sacks.But a playoff-caliber team needs to click more than Ohio State did against USC. Had that been a Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia or Alabama, Ohio State probably does not come out on the winning side of that matchup. It might not have been shutout again, but the way that offense played against a middle-of-the-road USC defense would not have fared well against top-six defenses like Alabama and Clemson. The way Darnold tore Ohio State apart, there is little doubt a Baker Mayfield, who already torched the Buckeyes once this season, would have again had his way with them. Ohio State had a fine season. It ended as Big Ten and Cotton Bowl champions. But it was not a playoff team. I’m sure if Alabama loses to Clemson, many will berate the committee for getting the No. 4 team wrong. But Alabama would have to lay an Ohio State vs. Clemson 2016-edition egg for this to look like the wrong decision by the committee.
Toni Kroos has rejected claims by Mesut Ozil that racism exists in the German Football Federation, according to Goal.The Real Madrid star has slammed suggestions by his former International teammate that racism exists in the German Football setup as nonsense.Ozil was singled out for criticism by the German Football Federation (DFB) and Germany national team manager Oliver Bierhoff after the country’s disappointing outing at the World Cup in Russia.Ozil and Gundogan were pictured with Turkey President Recep Erdogan leading to stench criticism from the German media and German public. The 29-year-old eventually announced his retirement from international football citing racism and discrimination for his reasons.However, Kroos has come out to defend the DFB while criticizing Ozil’s comments.Top 5 Bundesliga players to watch during the weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 With the international activity cooling down for the next month, we go back to the Bundesliga’s Top 5 players to watch next weekend.The German…“The proportion that is well and properly addressed in [Ozil’s] statement is unfortunately overshadowed by the much higher proportion of nonsense,” the Real Madrid star said.“I think that he knows that racism does not exist within the national team and the DFB,” Kroos continued.“On the contrary, we are always committed to diversity and integration. Mesut was a good example, as many of our fellow players [were].”“Mesut was criticized for the photo – and rightly so.”Kroos becomes the latest German to speak about this issue, after Thomas Muller, Julian Brandt and Lothar Mattaus.